Head - Chemistry
Head of Chemistry
About the Role, Who you are:
We are looking for a world-class scientist to lead Chemistry research and development at 10x Genomics. The ideal candidate will have a proven track-record of leading teams of chemists that have successfully developed advanced technologies into robust products. The candidate must combine impressive technical leadership (including a bias to being hands-on in technical matters), excellence in people management, a strong drive for making great products and deep familiarity with core chemistry (organic, inorganic, physical, analytical) and applied chemistry subdisciplines. This position will interact closely with senior leadership at our Pleasanton HQ, as well as our global R&D and manufacturing teams.
What you will be doing:
- Hire, manage and mentor a department of world-class chemists working across multiple multi-disciplinary product development and advanced research teams
- Help develop ambitious, multi-year and company-wide technology and product roadmap
- Individually and through your team, drive innovations in core chemistries and chemistry processes that enable novel product capabilities and internal capabilities
- Contribute to multidisciplinary trade offs to make the best decisions for products, manufacturing processes, and scale up.
- Maintain strong ties with process scientists and engineers to ensure the seamless transition of R&D scale formulations and procedures to those suitable for mass production, together with efficient troubleshooting when called for
- Contribute to establishment and maintenance of strong lines of communication, knowledge-sharing and collaboration between R&D departments
- Contribute to planning and monitoring of department and project specific budgets and staffing plans
- Establish and maintain the necessary team structures, processes, infrastructure and environment to drive development of industry-leading assays for the 10x Genomics technology platforms
- PhD or proven, significant depth of experience in a core chemistry discipline or a relevant applied chemistry field
- Proven track record of bringing novel chemicals, formulations or processes to market at commercial scale
- A minimum of 15 years relevant post-graduate experience, preferably in the life sciences industry, including a minimum of 10 years in a technical leadership position with direct reports
- Proven ability to plan and execute highly technical development projects, as evidenced by published patents, peer-reviewed articles or launched products
- Proven ability to manage functional or project-based teams of 10 or more scientists in a matrix environment
- A working knowledge of molecular biology assays/protocols, preferably utilizing next-generation sequencing
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, including written and oral communication.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and quickly changing environment
- A strong desire to build game-changing technologies and impact the world of life science research
Additionally, we’d like to see:
- Experience working with and troubleshooting chemical processes in mid-large scale manufacturing environment
- Experience in single-cell or spatial genomics, functional genomics or immunology
Below is the base pay range for this full time position. The actual base pay will depend on several factors unique to each candidate, including one’s skills, qualifications, and experience. At 10x, base pay is also just one component of the Company’s total compensation package. This role is also eligible for 10x’s equity grants, its comprehensive health and retirement benefit programs, and its annual bonus program or sales incentive program. Your 10x recruiter can share more about the Company’s total compensation package during the hiring process.
About 10x Genomics
At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It is a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
We enable scientists to advance their research, allowing them to address scientific questions they did not even know they could ask. Our tools have enabled fundamental discoveries across biology including cancer, immunology, and neuroscience.
Our teams are empowered and encouraged to follow their passions, pursue new ideas, and perform at their best in an inclusive and dynamic environment. We know that behind every scientific breakthrough, there is a deep infrastructure of talented people driving the life sciences industry and making it possible for scientists and clinicians to make new strides. We are dedicated to finding the very best person for every aspect of our work because the innovations and discoveries that we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future. Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
Individuals seeking employment at 10x Genomics are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
10x does not accept unsolicited applicants submitted by third-party recruiters or agencies. Any resume or application submitted to 10x without a vendor agreement in place will be considered unsolicited and property of 10x, and 10x will not pay a placement fee.
Something looks off?