Staff Automation Controls Engineer
About the role:
We are seeking an outstanding Senior Automation Engineer to join our Consumable Products Development (CPD) Group at 10x Genomics. This is a key position for the commercialization of consumable products associated with Next Generation Sequencing chemistries. As a member of the Manufacturing System Engineering group, this candidate will be responsible for developing and integrating automation solutions into the 10x manufacturing of complex reagents and consumables. This is a multi-disciplinary position that will work closely with Product Development, Process Development, Manufacturing and R&D teams to assure 10x implements world class automation solutions.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track-record in developing controls for custom automation solutions. You will be at the center of development of novel automation solutions for 10x. This person should have a broad understanding of automation solutions for dispense, packaging, formulation and materials handling. You should love difficult problems, and love building custom automation solutions to solve them.
What you will be doing:
- Working closely with automation and systems engineers, play a critical role in designing the controls and system safety architecture for custom manufacturing systems
- Configure, program, test and troubleshoot manufacturing equipment
- Configure and connect manufacturing equipment to MES and SCADA platform
- Lead design activities for new automation systems
- Support existing automation infrastructure with troubleshooting and root cause analysis
- Analyze performance data and establish trends, identify errors and make improvements to systems to ensure reliability
- Provide guidance for expansion of data collection activities to R&D organization.
- Develop calibration and maintenance documentation for automation systems.
- Share expertise and leadership with cross-disciplinary development teams to develop timely automation solutions for new product manufacturing
- Bachelor’s or Advanced degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial engineering, Robotics or related field, with an emphasis in automation (8+ years of industrial experience).
- Experience with standard industrial automation technologies, PLCs, SCARA, SCADA, MES and HMI programming
- Experience deploying and managing SCADA systems
- Experience configuring and connecting manufacturing equipment to MES and SCADA platforms
- Proficient with motion controllers and vision systems
- Experience maintaining the codebase for multiple automation systems
- Strong organizational skills to manage multidisciplinary projects
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to perform under pressure and adapt to changes (e.g., priorities and timelines)
- Desire to build game-changing technologies and impact the world of life science research
Preferred skills & background:
- Experience programming Allen Bradley PLCs using structured text language a plus
- Experience programming HMI and SCADA systems using Ignition a plus
- Experience working with design manufacturers a plus
- Experience working with relational database and data warehouses a plus
- Laboratory automation experience a plus
- Experience with Labview a plus
- Familiarity with environmental monitoring of HVAC and manufacturing conditions (i.e. understanding of different sensors applications and limitations)
- Desire to be part of a rapidly evolving organization, with compelling technology, and taking products and processes to the next level.
Below is the base pay range for this full time position. The actual base pay will depend on several factors unique to each candidate, including one’s skills, qualifications, and experience. At 10x, base pay is also just one component of the Company’s total compensation package. This role is also eligible for 10x’s equity grants, its comprehensive health and retirement benefit programs, and its annual bonus program or sales incentive program. Your 10x recruiter can share more about the Company’s total compensation package during the hiring process.
About 10x Genomics
At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It is a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
We enable scientists to advance their research, allowing them to address scientific questions they did not even know they could ask. Our tools have enabled fundamental discoveries across biology including cancer, immunology, and neuroscience.
Our teams are empowered and encouraged to follow their passions, pursue new ideas, and perform at their best in an inclusive and dynamic environment. We know that behind every scientific breakthrough, there is a deep infrastructure of talented people driving the life sciences industry and making it possible for scientists and clinicians to make new strides. We are dedicated to finding the very best person for every aspect of our work because the innovations and discoveries that we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future. Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
Individuals seeking employment at 10x Genomics are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
10x does not accept unsolicited applicants submitted by third-party recruiters or agencies. Any resume or application submitted to 10x without a vendor agreement in place will be considered unsolicited and property of 10x, and 10x will not pay a placement fee.
Something looks off?