Director of Instrument Manufacturing (P-3555)
We are seeking a Director of Instrument Manufacturing to join our Global Operations Group at 10x Genomics. This is a key position for the commercialization of hardware associated with the cost, efficiency and scale up of our instrument manufacturing. As part of the Global Operations Team, the candidate will be responsible for managing the manufacturing production, scheduling, and daily management of the associated teams.
This is a multi-disciplinary position that will work closely with Product Development, Manufacturing, R&D, Quality, Global Supply Chain, Equipment engineering, and our contract manufacturing teams to assure that 10x implements world class manufacturing solutions. The ideal candidate will have a proven track-record in managing a diverse, multi-disciplined manufacturing team, ideally in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical field. This person should have a broad understanding of mechanical and electrical engineering, production systems, consumables manufacturing, NPI, transfer to outsourced manufacturing and associated processes. You should love difficult problems, and especially love solving them in a fast paced, highly dynamic, “start-up” environment.
What you will be doing:
- Lead a dedicated group of manufacturing associates focused on building a high-quality, leading edge scientific instruments
- Build systems, processes, and factory layout to ensure weekly output of product in a safe, cost efficient environment
- Manage and grow the manufacturing team to support instruments and new product introduction and sustaining existing products
- Work closely with R&D, Engineering, Purchasing, and Manufacturing teams to facilitate best vendor and in-source/out-source selections and to assure a smooth ramp of new products on tight timescales
- Work closely with Quality to investigate and understand root cause of failures and develop continuous improvement plans to address at the manufacturing site
- Monitor manufacturing and field data to assess ongoing production quality and reliability; take actions to minimize impacts to predictable supply
- Provide input to the 10x product development process bringing DFx expertise to improve quality, reliability, process capability (cpk / yield and lead time / capacity), and cost optimization of designs and assuring manufacturing needs are addressed at the appropriate design stage.
- B.S./M.S/PhD. in Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial or Manufacturing Engineering, or related field with a minimum of 10 years post-graduate, industrial experience
- Experience and extensive knowledge of manufacturing planning for new product introduction, BOM management, development of Work Instructions, Routings, QC tests, and interface with International manufacturing, contract manufacturers, and vendors.
- Extensive experience with ERP, PLM, MES, and PDM and how they interface with new design release, material requirements and manufacturing execution.
- Experience building, mentoring and managing a team of skilled manufacturing associates
- Six-sigma, lean manufacturing and systems experience in a “start-up” environment
- Experience developing and presenting department Key Process Indicators (KPIs) and using KPIs to drive process improvements
- Experience developing and utilizing equipment and manpower capacity models to effectively scale up Manufacturing to meet demand.
- Experience managing cost centers and working with Finance to develop CapEX and OpEx budgets
- Understanding of ISO 9001, ISO 13485, or cGMP requirements and experience preparing for internal and external quality audits
- Ability to perform under pressure and adapt to changes (e.g., priorities and timelines)
- Desire to build game-changing technologies and impact the world of life science research
- Understanding and experience in the Life Science or Medical Device industry
- Experience with transfer to contract manufacturers, US and off-shore
- Experience with Oracle ERP
- Experience with Arena PLM system
- Direct experience with instrument manufacturing
- Experience with a service depot model for instruments
- Desire to be part of a rapidly evolving organization, with compelling technology, and taking products and processes to the next level
Below is the base pay range for this full time position. The actual base pay will depend on several factors unique to each candidate, including one’s skills, qualifications, and experience. At 10x, base pay is also just one component of the Company’s total compensation package. This role is also eligible for 10x’s equity grants, its comprehensive health and retirement benefit programs, and its annual bonus program or sales incentive program. Your 10x recruiter can share more about the Company’s total compensation package during the hiring process.
About 10x Genomics
At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It is a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
We enable scientists to advance their research, allowing them to address scientific questions they did not even know they could ask. Our tools have enabled fundamental discoveries across biology including cancer, immunology, and neuroscience.
Our teams are empowered and encouraged to follow their passions, pursue new ideas, and perform at their best in an inclusive and dynamic environment. We know that behind every scientific breakthrough, there is a deep infrastructure of talented people driving the life sciences industry and making it possible for scientists and clinicians to make new strides. We are dedicated to finding the very best person for every aspect of our work because the innovations and discoveries that we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future. Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
Individuals seeking employment at 10x Genomics are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
10x does not accept unsolicited applicants submitted by third-party recruiters or agencies. Any resume or application submitted to 10x without a vendor agreement in place will be considered unsolicited and property of 10x, and 10x will not pay a placement fee.
Something looks off?