Senior Data Engineer
About the Role
Join our Data Platform team at 10x Genomics as a Senior Data Engineer, where you’ll be pivotal in shaping our data infrastructure using modern software engineering practices. In this role, you will:
- Enhance data management and visualization using Snowflake and Tableau.
- Apply software engineering principles to optimize data engineering processes.
- Drive growth in data analysis and business analytics, creating actionable insights.
- Collaborate effectively across teams, demonstrating strong self-initiative and problem-solving skills.
What you will be doing
- Collaborate with stakeholders to define data and reporting requirements, translating them into technical specifications and implementing them.
- Develop and refine datasets and data models in Snowflake, ensuring company-wide consistency.
- Source and integrate diverse data sets to improve data accessibility to other teams.
- Architect and maintain robust ETL/ELT processes, adhering to best software engineering practices.
- Implement Infrastructure-as-Code for efficient data platform management.
- Create advanced reports and visualizations in Tableau, making complex data actionable.
- Resolve technical issues and perform ad-hoc data analysis to support business decisions.
- Engage with customers to understand their needs and enhance user experiences.
- Review and provide feedback on the work of fellow engineers to ensure overall quality and performance.
- Explore and integrate new technologies and vendors to enhance our data capabilities.
- Stay updated with the latest trends in data engineering, bringing innovative solutions to our platform.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Management, Data Science, or a related field, or possess equivalent experience.
- 8 years of experience in data engineering or business intelligence, with a focus on data warehousing, data pipelines, and modeling.
- Experienced with technical tools such as SQL, Python, or other similar programming languages.
- Project management skills and the ability to communicate complex data issues clearly.
- Experience implementing 'as-code' practices within data engineering.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Possess extensive knowledge in building scalable data pipelines and infrastructure.
- Demonstrate expert knowledge in data modeling concepts and practical implementation.
- Balance strategic thinking with attention to technical details.
- Exhibit proficiency in SQL, ETL/ELT, and data analysis.
- Have hands-on experience processing large data sets.
- Strong troubleshooting & problem-solving ability.
- Uphold values of growth mindset, honesty, and humility.
- Possess experience in data governance and quality improvement.
- Be familiar with modern data tools, such as Airflow and Databricks.
- Understand and adhere to data privacy standards, including GDPR and CCPA, and practice data security best measures.
- Python (or similar general-purpose languages)
Below is the base pay range for this full time position. The actual base pay will depend on several factors unique to each candidate, including one’s skills, qualifications, and experience. At 10x, base pay is also just one component of the Company’s total compensation package. This role is also eligible for 10x’s equity grants, its comprehensive health and retirement benefit programs, and its annual bonus program or sales incentive program. Your 10x recruiter can share more about the Company’s total compensation package during the hiring process.
About 10x Genomics
At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It is a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
We enable scientists to advance their research, allowing them to address scientific questions they did not even know they could ask. Our tools have enabled fundamental discoveries across biology including cancer, immunology, and neuroscience.
Our teams are empowered and encouraged to follow their passions, pursue new ideas, and perform at their best in an inclusive and dynamic environment. We know that behind every scientific breakthrough, there is a deep infrastructure of talented people driving the life sciences industry and making it possible for scientists and clinicians to make new strides. We are dedicated to finding the very best person for every aspect of our work because the innovations and discoveries that we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future. Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
Individuals seeking employment at 10x Genomics are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
10x does not accept unsolicited applicants submitted by third-party recruiters or agencies. Any resume or application submitted to 10x without a vendor agreement in place will be considered unsolicited and property of 10x, and 10x will not pay a placement fee.