Senior Linux Engineer
About the role:
Information Technology is a vital and integral part of our success. At 10x Genomics, IT not only provides a secure, stable, and scalable infrastructure for R&D, manufacturing, and business operations, it serves as a catalyst for innovation and productivity, and in particular for the Linux-based instruments we build and maintain for our customers.
We are looking for an exceptional Linux System Administrator with strong networking experience to join our team to support our customers' instruments. You will be interacting with 100s or 1000s of Linux-based systems located at customer sites around the world. You’ll be working closely with customer IT departments and scientists to install and configure 10x instruments, troubleshooting system and network issues. You’ll also be working closely with 10x engineers to improve systems, and recommending and building out improvements to our OS system services and management.
What you'll be doing:
- Work directly with customer IT departments prior to installation of an instrument to understand any existing deployment challenges for their environment
- Engage with customers during installation to troubleshoot and resolve any system or networking issues preventing proper instrument functionality
- Understand and respond to a variety of customer security and IT infrastructure situations
- Troubleshoot customer issues with 10x instruments
- Improve existing tooling for 10x and create new tooling and system services as necessary
- Document system and networking best practices for our instruments for customers and for 10x management of those systems
- 3 years experience with Debian or Ubuntu
- 3 years experience with at least one scripting language, such as Bash or Python
- 3 years experience with configuring Linux OS services
- 3 years experience with TCP/IP, networking configuration of Linux, and common network protocols such as DNS, DHCP, NTP, SSH, HTTP, HTTPS, NFS, and CIFS
- Experience with x86 hardware and troubleshooting common hardware failures
- Excellent communication skills and a customer service focus
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience
- Experience with Ansible for OS configuration
- Experience with NFS and CIFS network share configuration and best practices
- Experience with network proxies
- Experience with troubleshooting basic Linux kernel issues
- Experience with Linux IPTables firewall configuration
- Familiarity with the Linux boot process, from BIOS to bootloader to kernel to user-space services
About 10x Genomics
At 10x Genomics, accelerating our understanding of biology is more than a mission for us. It is a commitment. This is the century of biology, and the breakthroughs we make now have the potential to change the world.
We enable scientists to advance their research, allowing them to address scientific questions they did not even know they could ask. Our tools have enabled fundamental discoveries across biology including cancer, immunology, and neuroscience.
Our teams are empowered and encouraged to follow their passions, pursue new ideas, and perform at their best in an inclusive and dynamic environment. We know that behind every scientific breakthrough, there is a deep infrastructure of talented people driving the life sciences industry and making it possible for scientists and clinicians to make new strides. We are dedicated to finding the very best person for every aspect of our work because the innovations and discoveries that we enable together will lead to better technologies, better treatments, and a better future. Find out how you can make a 10x difference.
Individuals seeking employment at 10x Genomics are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
10x does not accept unsolicited applicants submitted by third-party recruiters or agencies. Any resume or application submitted to 10x without a vendor agreement in place will be considered unsolicited and property of 10x, and 10x will not pay a placement fee.