Staff Machine Learning Engineer (Permanent Remote, US)
Austin, TX, USA
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2023
As a Staff Machine Learning Engineer, you will lead teams of engineers to develop ways to harness knowledge from one of the most extensive data sets of medical records, diagnoses, claims, and prescriptions. In this process, you will improve the efficacy of patient identification and delivery methods. You will enjoy the flexibility of being a part of a U.S.-based, permanently remote engineering and platform team. You will engage with stakeholders across multiple teams to lead the design, development, and productization of machine learning systems and solutions that help improve health outcomes for patients.
At Aledade, you will sit at the intersection of:
A huge problem; amounting to trillions of dollars of waste in U.S. Healthcare spending.
An approach that moves the needle; In the U.S., we wait until someone has a stroke, then are hospitalized. From there, no expense is spared. Using technology, Aledade changes that by enabling doctors to intervene with the proper preventive care, like blood pressure control, before it becomes a stroke.
A platform that works at scale; last year 11,000 physicians across 36 states served ~1.7M patients, saving 24,000 unnecessary hospitalizations and 120,000 visits to the emergency room using Aledade’s technology.
But the journey is only 1% done, come join us to build a world-class team that will not quit till it addresses the trillions of dollars of suffering in U.S. healthcare spending
Technologies we use:
Amazon Web Services, PostgreSQL / Amazon Aurora, Snowflake, Python, Node.js, Airflow, Spark, DataBricks, R, and various ML frameworks
- Improve ML infrastructure for model development, training, and deployment.
- Design multi-year vision, shaping the direction of some of our crucial machine learning areas - intervention identification, attribution prediction, and patient ranking and relevance.
- Architect systems to improve the relevance and drive business outcomes by making large, complex data sets more accessible.
- Work closely with Product Management, Practices, Sales, Customer Success, and other stakeholders to understand product usage patterns and trends and to make data-driven decisions and forecasts.
- Maintain the security of protected patient health information.
- Mentoring and galvanizing new engineers to do their best work.
- Working across disciplines to shape a product strategy and execution.
As the engineering team grows, you will lift the people around you:
- BS/BTech (or higher) in Computer Science or a related field required
- Ph.D. or Master's degree in a quantitative discipline (e.g., Computer Science[with AI/ML Major], Statistics, Operations Research, Economics, Mathematics, Physics) or equivalent practical experience.
- 7+ years of experience developing and shipping code for production systems.
- Experience working with large-scale distributed systems at scale and statistical software (e.g., Spark, SQL, Python, R, etc.)
- Demonstrated leadership and self-direction.
- 4+ years of demonstrated proficiency scaling large scale machine learning systems, feature engineering, and model optimization.
- Proficiency in communicating analysis and establishing confidence among audiences who do not share your disciplinary background or training.
- Experience with security and systems that handle sensitive data.
Who We Are:
Aledade, a public benefit corporation, exists to empower the most transformational part of our health care landscape - independent primary care. We were founded in 2014, and since then, we've become the largest network of independent primary care in the country - helping practices, health centers and clinics deliver better care to their patients and thrive in value-based care. Additionally, by creating value-based contracts across a wide variety of payers, we aim to flip the script on the traditional fee-for-service model. Our work strengthens continuity of care, aligns incentives, and ensures primary care physicians are paid for what they do best - keeping patients healthy. If you want to help create a health care system that is good for patients, good for practices and good for society - and if you're eager to join a collaborative, inclusive and remote-first culture - you've come to the right place.
What Does This Mean for You?
At Aledade, you will be part of a creative culture that is driven by a passion for tackling complex issues with respect, open-mindedness and a desire to learn. You will collaborate with team members who bring a wide range of experiences, interests, backgrounds, beliefs and achievements to their work - and who are all united by a shared passion for public health and a commitment to the Aledade mission.
In addition to time off to support work-life balance and enjoyment, we offer the following comprehensive benefits package designed for the overall well-being of our team members:
Flexible work schedules and the ability to work remotely are available for many roles
Health, dental and vision insurance paid up to 80% for employees, dependents, and domestic partners Robust time off plan 21 days of PTO in your first year 2 Paid Volunteer Days & 11 paid holidays
12 weeks paid Parental Leave for all new parents
6 weeks paid sabbatical after 6 years of service
Educational Assistant Program & Clinical Employee Reimbursement Program
401(K) with up to 4% match
And much more!
At Aledade, we don’t just accept differences, we celebrate them! We strive to attract, develop, and retain highly qualified individuals representing the diverse communities where we live and work. Aledade is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Employment policies and decisions at Aledade are based on merit, qualifications, performance, and business needs. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth or medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), gender identity or expression, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, legally protected genetic information, marital status, veteran status, or sexual orientation.