Certified Medical Assistant
Wilmington, DE, USA
Posted on Tuesday, October 10, 2023
Location: Henrietta Johnson Medical Center
Position: Certified Medical Assistant
Definition: Under the direct supervision of the Director of Clinical Services, the incumbent provides nurse’s aide assistance, medical records support and other medical administration assistance to the medical providers with patient examinations and treatments as assigned. The incumbent will assist medical providers as directed to promote the rendering to the highest level of quality medical care to all patients. This position will also assist in the statistical data gathering and program indicator monitoring required by regulatory agencies.
Team Philosophy Statement: The Henrietta Johnson Medical Center provides affordable access to integrated and coordinated family practice, women’s health, dental and behavioral health care services to the entire family under one roof. We operate with a team of caring, competent, and productive providers and staff who focus on quality, compassionate, and coordinated care in order to provide outstanding service to patients and families. Our staff place a high value on teamwork. They must accept changing duties, be multi-skilled, and perform a variety of tasks in the care of our patients. Each member of the team is dedicated to continuous learning, and contributes toward our goal of providing outstanding health care services to our patients.
Qualifications: Qualified applicants must have high school diploma or GED. Graduation from an approved Certified Medical Assistant program is required. Knowledge of, or ability to effectively learn the medical center’s EMR is mandatory. The position encompasses a number of duties, therefore, the incumbent must be skilled in effective patient communication both written and oral, proper medical record-keeping in an ambulatory health care facility, medical terminology, in addition, the incumbent must know or be willing to learn insurance verification, etc. English-Spanish bilingual is preferred.
Ability to perform basic clinical skills including, but not limited to: vital signs, exams, ear lavage, audiometer, record-keeping, EMR, respond to and assist in medical emergencies as a team member; provide health services information; understand and follow oral and written directions; work tactfully, effectively, courteously and with appropriate sensitivity to diverse staff and the general public; work effectively in multi-task situations and a fast paced environment; communicate effectively orally and in writing; able to analyze situations and make the appropriate decisions concerning health and related situations.
Working Conditions: This is an hourly position and the incumbent is regularly scheduled to work forty (40) hours per week, distributed over the medical center’s usual hours of operation. However, it can be anticipated that some assignments will necessitate extended hours. Employee has direct exposure to blood or body fluids, infectious diseases, puncture wounds and workplace violence. Use of gloves, gowns, masks and goggles required as stated in standard procedures.
Major Responsibilities: The following is illustrative and not all inclusive:
1. Greets patients in a friendly, pleasant manner. Escorts them from the waiting area to the exam rooms.
2. Prepares each assigned patient for provider examination -performs brief history and physical exam; performs other tests/procedures at the direction of provider staff; e.g., pulmonary function tests, EKG, accu-checks, urine studies, etc.
3. Performs basic health screening procedures, including but not limited to vision and hearing screening, fat analysis, blood pressure, temperature, respirations, etc.
4. Performs chart review on each assigned patient prior to the appointment.
5. Prepares exam rooms for use during patient visits.
6. Front desk duties to include but not limited to insurance verification, patient check-in/check-out, reminder calls, and patient scheduling.
7. Replenishes examination treatment room supplies. Informs Site Nurse of inventory status and keeps a running list of supplies for the purpose of re-ordering. Properly sterilizes and repackages reusable equipment.
8. Utilizes available foreign language skills to translate for patients when necessary.
9. Under the direct supervision of the provider able to effectively administer injections and provide information to patients regarding medication, treatment and/or procedures.
10. Adhere to policies and procedures for maintaining the confidentiality of medical records to HIPAA
11. Assist in the documentation of all injections and other point of care tests, and reporting of results to appropriate clinicians or other appropriate health agencies.
12. Provides a variety of health related information to patients with the direction from the provider.
13. Adhere to policies and procedures for disinfection and handling of contaminated waste or equipment. Adhering to infectious disease control practices and procedures.
14. Answers the telephone in a courteous and timely manner, and directs calls to the appropriate person.
15. Performs any other duties within the medical center as requested by the DOC, Chief Medical Officer, Chief Executive Officer or their representative and any other member of the senior leadership team.
16. 340 B in-house pharmacy.
17. Other duties as assigned.
1. Cordial and professional demeanor in dealing with staff, patients and visitors. All persons are greeted with either "Good Morning", "Good Afternoon" or "Good Evening" followed by the person's name and then asking them "How are you feeling today?"
2. Provides a progress note o n chief complaint, vital signs, in-house lab results and has each patient dressed appropriately to be examined.
3. Has all relevant information produced since patient's last visit in the proper place in the chart so that the patient visit is completed in a highly efficient manner.
4. Places all discarded materials (e.g. used gowns, table top covers, etc) in trash receptacles and covers exam table prior to bringing the next patient to the exam room.
5. Ensures an adequate amount of supplies (e.g. hemocult cards, patient gown and drapes, speculums, etc.) are in place for daily use.
6. Provides translation whenever requested; such service shall not interfere with medical assistant's primary duties.
7. Refrains from transmitting any personal information (health related or otherwise) on any patient.
8. Telephones are answered by stating who you are and asking "How can I help you?” no later than the third ring. Messages are given to the provider staff in accordance with the procedure requested by that provider.
9. Performs any legitimate task not otherwise listed in this job description when requested to do so by the DOC, Chief Medical Officer, Chief Executive Officer or any other member of the senior leadership team.
10. Must maintain their own certification status at all times.
11. Understands and knows all medical programs within the health center. (i.e. Title X, PNN, etc.)
Key Performance Indicators:
1. Provider Satisfaction
2. Patient Satisfaction
3. Patient Census
HIPAA Statement: The individual will have access to the patient records. Professionalism and confidentiality must be maintained at all times.
Please note this position is posted on behalf of our partner practices. This individual will be working at the specific practice that is mentioned in the above details and will not be a direct employee of Aledade, Inc. so will therefore not be eligible for the benefits available to Aledade employees.