Elgin, SC, USA
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2023
Location: James Frank Martin Jr MD
Position: Patient Advocate
Position Summary: Responsible for efficient and orderly checking in and out of patients, registering patients in the computer ensuring that accurate information is collected, and ensuring patients are made aware of office policies. Help answer incoming telephone calls and route to appropriate staff members. Schedules appointments, collects payments, and issues receipts. Complete medical records in a timely manner. Maintains smooth operations of all front desk activities at all times.
Minimum Qualifications: High school graduate or equivalent with excellent communication skills. One to two years of customer service experience is required.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands: Work is performed in a fast-paced, high volume practice. Occasional stress related to workload and customers with urgent needs. Interaction with others is constant and interruptive. Work may require hand dexterity for telephone and office machine operation. Non-clinical areas require sitting, standing and walking associated with a busy office environment. Light physical work and occasional lifting of up to 20 pounds may be required.
Job Specific Functions:
- Work with all patients to schedule appointments that best meet their needs.
- Ensure complete and accurate registration information including all insurance information, demographics, email and other contact information.
- Ensure any other documents indicating patient needs or wishes are entered into the records including advanced directives, legal guardianship, and any other appropriate document.
- Facilitate patient flow by notifying clinical staff of the patient’s arrival, being aware of delays and communicating with patients and team.
- Collect appropriate payment for services.
- Coordinate with other team members to provide exceptional patient service.
- Answer patients’ and providers’ billing and accounts receivable questions.
- Perform collection duties on unpaid or overdue accounts per practice protocol.
- Complete medical records request in a timely manner.
- Post payments in Athena. Keep an accurate balance of the cash box and correct change.
- Serve on quality improvement projects/teams as designated. Keep the lobby tidy and the coffee station stocked.
- Follow any and all HIPAA and OSHA guidelines.
- Attend any meetings or training sessions with completion of assignments that may be presented.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Maintain positive working relationships and demonstrate exceptional customer service skills.
- Work cooperatively, address conflict and communicate effectively with all providers, team members, patients and their families as appropriate.
- Perform all duties in accordance with the highest professional standards, policies and procedures.
- Practice good stewardship of resources.
- Demonstrate initiative and accountability in all assigned tasks.
- Effectively use electronic, verbal, nonverbal, written and interpersonal communication skills in a clear and concise manner to ensure appropriate understanding and response.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Knowledgeable with an Electronic Medical Record Database, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook and scanners.
- Ability to operate a multi-line telephone system and answer the telephone in a pleasant and helpful manner.
- Must be organized and detail-oriented and able to multi-task.
- Ability to read, understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, employees and the public.
- Must be able to interact effectively and in a supportive manner with persons of all backgrounds.
- Must be able to remain optimistic and adapt to varying demands in a stressful environment.
This description is intended to provide only basic guidelines for meeting job requirements. Responsibilities, skills and working conditions may change as needs evolve.
Please note this position is posted on behalf of our partner practices. This individual will be working at the specific practice that is mentioned in the above details and will not be a direct employee of Aledade, Inc. so will therefore not be eligible for the benefits available to Aledade employees.