St. Louis, MO, USA
Posted on Tuesday, January 9, 2024
Location: St. Louis Medical Clinic
Position: Medical Assistant
Experience: Completion of Medical Assistant's program or extensive on the job training.
Job Summary: The Medical Assistants is responsible for providing professional care for patients of the practice while following established standards and practices. They assist the Physician and/or Physician's Assistant in the treatment of their patients.
- Calls for the patient from reception area taking weight, height, temperature, and escorting patients to exam room, taking Bp and pulse. Prepare patients for exam and assist physician with exam if needed and to carry out the Dr's. orders.
- Perform all of the following skills proficiently = taking of al vital signs ( Height, weight, temperature, pulse and respiration), blood draws, EKG'S, Stool Occults, stress tests (fI applicable ), Holter monitor set up, event monitor set up, BP monitor set up, sleep machine set up, Pulmonary Function Test, Snellen eye chart, audiogram, charting, sterilization of instruments, sterile procedures, pap smear preparation,, nebulizer treatment, administration of injections (IM, Sub-q, intradermal ), the measurement of medications, the teaching of al types of Insulin by syringe and pen, Prolia, Cimzia, Byetta ,Lovenox, Enbrel, Humira, Symlin, Thyrogen, Sandostatin, glucometer testing and teaching, A1C W cultures, wound cultures, blood cultures, flu swabs, ear washes equipment cleaning, room cleaning, nurses station cleaning, assessing of patient conditions, calling for help of others, including 91 fi and when needed, use of EMR, ordering through EMR, doing e-prescribes (check every day at least once or twice ), calling medication refills (regular and controlled), assisting in doing walk in pt.’s., monitoring al ordered and pending orders daily and taking appropriate action ( looking for test result in lab or from support lab, calling pt. to remind them of test needed etc.), ordering paper requisitions of tests needed, use of and location of emergency equipment (AED, Oxygen, Crash Cart, Pulse Ox), up to date CPR training, knowledge of OSHA standards, quality control, basic first aid skills and compassionate care and support.
- Stay current on Dr./ Pt. schedules in EMR. Be aware of any scheduling conflicts and changes. Work with and communicate with the Dr.'s secretary to maintain coordinated patient care. If time is available and nursing does not need help assist the secretaries with anything they may need help with.
- Always keep flow going, get patients in as soon as a room available for the Dr. Always clean room before bringing another pt. into the room. Answer call lights quickly.
- Report any abnormal labs, vitals etc. to physician immediately and document. Check status of pending and ordered labs daily - it is much easier to keep up on them that way and to check for any possible problems (i.e. Missing results.) Notify lab of any problems of concern - missing results, labs taking too long etc. Be sure to note in the comment section of the labs what action has been taken if there are concerns.
- Maintain all equipment and report any problems to supervisor immediately.
- If getting low on something order it, replace it, and copy it. Do not ignore the fact more of it is needed and don't leave it for the next person to do. Take responsibility.
- Clean and stock rooms, check linens daily (maintain your linen inventory.)
- Keep medication samples neat and discard expired meds.
- Check schedules daily and be sure to check for routine cleaning assignments - both located on refrigerator at Nursing.
- Keep patient rooms and nurse's station neat and clean and free of excess magazines. Wipe down nightly with Cavacide wipes.
- Though one is assigned generally to a particular physician or used in a float capacity (one or more physicians at any given time) al nursing personnel are expected, without necessarily the need to be asked, to help their fellow workers. This is a team effort at all times. With the use of the computer to monitor schedules it is easy to be able to check all schedules on and off all day. Al medical assistants are informed to have all Dr.'s on their computers.
- If time and workload allow offer assistance to secretaries, lab, etc.
- Interact with patients and family members in a caring, compassionate, focused, and professional manner.
Please note this position is posted on behalf of our partner practices. This individual will be working at the specific practice that is mentioned in the above details and will not be a direct employee of Aledade, Inc. so will therefore not be eligible for the benefits available to Aledade employees.