Altruist is a fast growing fintech company that's transforming the financial advice industry. Our mission is to make financial advice better, more affordable, and accessible to everyone. We’re a modern custodian built exclusively for registered investment advisors (RIAs). As we disrupt legacy custodians and revolutionize the $100T RIA market, we're seeking exceptional individuals to join our team. If you embody our core values of kindness, brilliance, and grit, and are passionate about making a meaningful impact, we want to hear from you!
What You’ll Do
- Oversee the end-to-end payroll process for U.S. multi-state payroll.
- Ensure accuracy and timely processing of all payrolls by managing schedules, volume, and quality of processing.
- Drive ongoing improvements in our payroll processes to accommodate multiple legal entities, employee bases, and technology solutions.
- Develop and maintain internal controls around the hire-to-retire and payroll processes.
- Ensure that payroll processes are compliant with local requirements and company policies, and that they are reviewed regularly, improved when necessary, and appropriately documented and communicated internally.
- Own all payroll related communications internally: provide clarity on payroll processes and benefits at all levels of the business and in particular for new hires, provide day-to-day support and resolution for any queries on all payroll matters, proactively communicate with team members, managers and HR team as necessary.
- Keep up to date on all payroll industry trends and best practices applying this knowledge to our processes and identifying areas for improvement.
- Review quarterly 941 filings, annual W-2s and reconcile to payroll records.
- Coordinate with the payroll provider on new work state setup and payroll tax registrations, as needed.
- Prepare payroll journals, account reconciliations, and payroll fluctuations analysis for the accounting month-end close.
- Partner with the rest of the Finance team regarding general ledger entries, payroll liabilities reconciliation, state and local tax compliance, annual and ad-hoc audit support, reporting inquiries and other projects, as necessary.
- Provide ad hoc reporting to Finance and HR on 401(k) audit, workers comp audit, insurance renewals, government surveys, and payroll cash flows.
What You’ll Bring
- 7+ years of overall experience in payroll, and preferably 2 years of experience leading a payroll team.
- Experience in ADP WorkforceNow is preferred.
- Strong understanding of current legislative requirements and regulations paired with a detailed understanding of payroll and related tax administration.
- Experience with NetSuite and proficiency with Google suite and Microsoft Office, including strong working knowledge of Excel.
- Self-motivated by opportunities to learn and improve processes.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to partner with cross-functional teams, including legal, HR, tax, accounting, equity, and finance.
- Strong working knowledge of payroll best practices, guidelines, and compliance, including multi-jurisdictional tax management.
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) preferred.
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Premium Healthcare, Dental, and Vision insurance plans
- Generous paid parental leave
- 401(k) savings plan with matching contributions
- Flexible paid time off
Total compensation includes a competitive benefits package along with equity in the form of Stock Options (ISOs). A salary offer will be determined by a number of factors including experience, skill level, internal pay equity, geographic location, and other relevant business considerations. We review all employee pay and compensation programs regularly to ensure fair, equitable, and competitive pay. At Altruist, we are committed to providing fair, equitable, and competitive compensation by leveraging market data to inform our pay bands. Base salaries will be reviewed at regular intervals throughout the year, typically in conjunction with performance review cycles. By evaluating compensation on a regular basis, we are able to reward high performance and ensure all employees have opportunities for growth.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Altruist we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role, but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.