Lead Android Engineer
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Monday, October 30, 2023
Ad Hoc Labs are the makers of Burner, one of the top-grossing independent apps in the world. Our mission is to build best-in-class software products that empower our millions of customers with better control of their privacy, communications, and identity, and to do it as a self-sustaining company whose culture and practices we can be proud of.
Our bestselling app Burner has been the category leader in virtual phone number apps for more than five years, serving millions of consumers with a way to generate additional phone numbers when needed, keep them indefinitely or use them only temporarily, and delete them when finished – all without the hassle of wireless carriers or contracts. Burner was named a top 50 app by TIME and has been covered extensively in the press, including the New York Times who said “a thin layer of privacy between yourself and the rest of the world, when needed, is hard to put a price on".
As the Lead Android Engineer, you will be a key member of our engineering team building the next generation of mobile privacy tools. Our engineers are subject experts in their discipline and have input and ownership at every phase of the development lifecycle. If you want to take your career to the next level, we want to hear from you!
About the role
As our Lead Android Engineer, will be responsible for setting the technical vision for the Android product and leading the execution of new features. We're looking for someone who will be a champion for our Android customers and has the innovation and drive to build a best in class Android product.
What makes a great fit?
- 8 or more years working as an Android developer
- Deep understanding of modern Android paradigms/tools, like Flows, Coroutines, and Compose.
- You've led the implementation of products across the team, and deeply understand all stages of software delivery, including planning, execution, testing, and delivery.
- You've collaborated with designers on the implementation of Material Design and understand that paradigms that are familiar to Android customers.
- You have led major technical projects and understand how to communicate complex technical concepts to non technical stakeholders.
- You've worked on a small, highly collaborative team and you have mentored colleagues in different areas.
- You understand how to work directly with product managers on an integrating technical requirements into a roadmap and know how to guide feature development to meet technical and product needs.
- You stay up to date with tools and libraries. You know when the latest version of Kotlin comes out, and whether it's worth upgrading.
- You understand various networking technologies, like REST, Websockets, protobuf, etc.
What you'll be doing
- Driving discussions for technical vision for Android, establishing consensus and adoption across the team. You'll be primarily responsible for communication this vision throughout the team.
- Be the Android expert for the business, influencing design sessions and product ideas to best fit the Android experience.
- Mentoring your immediate teammates and acting as an advisor to the broader team.
- Tackling the most technically complex projects for the team and identifying opportunities for skill level growth for your teammates.
- Working with product owners and other technical leads to help set strategy for the business.
- Identifying and implementing process improvements for the broader team
- Working with the team to keep the app up to date with the latest platform requirements and features
- Owning the state of the application. You will be aware of the areas that need work, when to take that work on vs deferring it, and prioritizing with the product lead.
Perks and Benefits
- Health and Dental coverage for employees, dependents, and domestic partners
- 401K with company 4% match
- Choose how you want to invest in your career development. We reimburse for training, conferences, and online learning resources.
- Work remotely in style. Get a stipend to set up or enhance your remote work setup.
Our Hiring Process
Our hiring process is structured to find talented, eager people who are looking for something more than just another engineering role. We think the hiring process should assess your ability to succeed day to day at Ad Hoc Labs. You'll meet a cross section of the team you'll work with daily and we'll work through example problems and scenarios you'll encounter in the work, not problems meant to be gotchas. No BS, we promise. We're looking for people that have a solid technical foundation, clear communicators, and those excited about the opportunity here at Ad Hoc Labs.
We believe that a team is more than the sum of its parts. We put the customer experience at the center of all of our projects. We take pride in the work we do and like to have fun doing it. We are always trying to learn, from our customers, from one another, and wherever inspiration lives. We believe people do their best work when they have the authority to succeed, the support to succeed, and clear metrics for success.
Ad Hoc Labs is a remote-first company. Select roles may require regional geography and/or frequent travel. All candidates need to be able to maintain a productive remote working environment with access to video-quality internet.
We are committed to building a diverse, inclusive company and we encourage applications from candidates of all backgrounds.