Backend Software Engineer - API
FULL-TIME | NYC (IN-PERSON)
Moment builds modern capital markets infrastructure for the wealth management space, starting with fixed income. Founded in 2022 by former fixed income quants at leading prop shops, Moment has quickly established itself as the leading fixed income infrastructure provider for global fintechs, traditional brokerages, and RIAs.
Fixed income is the largest asset class in the world, and the market is evolving rapidly. In the past three years, electronic fixed income trading volume has nearly doubled — and in the past 14 months, retail fixed income trading volume has increased by more than 1500%. Despite this rapid growth, the wealth management space has been confined to legacy technology that doesn’t meet their needs anymore. That’s where Moment comes in — in just a matter of weeks, Moment allows customers to easily offer an end-to-end, modern fixed income solution through a simple set of APIs across data, execution, and portfolio management.
Most startups start off serving small businesses, and scale up as they convince larger enterprises to take a bet. Moment’s version of “small businesses” have been firms representing millions of retail investors — and we’re just getting started. We're growing incredibly fast and are backed by world-class investors. In May 2023, we raised a $17M Series A led by a16z with participation from amazing investors including Venrock, Neo, Contrary, and Henry Kravis.
We are looking for talented software engineers to join our team as early engineers. You will be working alongside some of the brightest people in the industry to build the next generation of well-designed, robust, and scalable systems. Our team has a strong engineering culture and believes in delivering beautiful and functional experiences to our customers. The ideal candidate will have significant experience working in a fast-paced, engineering-first organization. Our current tech stack is Go, Postgres, Kafka, and AWS.
To give you a taste of some of the engineering challenges we’re solving, we need to be able to build systems that can send and receive 500M+ messages per day. Reliability and scalability are – and will continue to be – mission critical for Moment, and will heavily influence how we architect and build our products. We need an engineer who’s willing to not only own large features, but also drive our scaling efforts so we can deliver on our promise to deliver features to billions of investors around the world.
A fintech background is not required, just a passion for revolutionizing the way retail investors access the capital markets today. While interest in finance is always appreciated, we will teach you the finance domain knowledge you need during your onboarding. Together, we will redefine and transform the finance industry.
- Design, build, and maintain core infrastructure that powers Moment’s products
- Lead and define the scope, design, implementation, and deployment of robust distributed services, making
appropriate tradeoffs between reliability, throughput, latency, resiliency, engineering velocity, and cost
- Architect and tech-lead the backend of core Moment features and APIs
- Participate in design and architecture reviews for new features, products, or pieces of infrastructure
- Help define and evolve our tech stack as we scale the product
- Help us hire a world-class team and mentor new team members
- 5+ years experience in backend engineering
- Experience architecting and building 0-1 services in a large-scale production setting
- Familiarity with Go, AWS, Kafka, and Postgres.
- Experience architecting and developing distributed systems
- An orientation towards impact — on your own projects, throughout Moment, and across the world
- A high standard, for yourself and others, when working with production systems
- Open communication skills — ask questions, assume good intentions, and default to transparency
- Rigor and empathy that help you thrive in a collaborative and high-performance environment
Compensation & Benefits
For this role, the salary range is $130,000-$210,000. Actual compensation will vary based on skills, experience, and which offer each candidate selects.
In addition to a competitive salary and equity package, we provide every employee with:
- Grow into the leader you aspire to be. At a fast-growing company in an expanding industry, you can enjoy unmatched career growth
- Education is encouraged with our company-wide professional development programs and course reimbursements
- Comprehensive wellness package, providing top-notch health, dental, and vision coverage with 100% company reimbursement.
- Competitive compensation, top-notch gym stipends, and generous equity grants
- Unlimited PTO policy that people actually use — on average, people take three weeks off per year
- 401k match to help you save for your future
- Paid lunches in office, every day