Software Engineer, Offensive Security
Rebellion Defense is building the mission capabilities required for this software-defined era of defense. We are equipping our warfighters with the best software to detect, deter and outpace the modern adversary at speed and scale. We’ve brought together technologists who have built software products that transformed our way of life in the commercial sector with defense experts who deeply understand the mission and the stakes to build technology exclusively for defense and national security.
Our people are passionate about creating a company where technologists empower the military and our civil servants to solve some of the hardest problems in government. Rebellion Defense is driven by our mission — but a set of core values binds us together: we hire by them, operate through them, and uphold them in every decision we make for ourselves and for our customers.
We are hiring a Software Engineer, Offensive Security to join our team. While this role can be located anywhere in the United States, you may choose to work from our Washington, DC headquarters. Occasional travel may be required.
As a Software Engineer, Offensive Security, you will:
- Collaborate with other software engineers and cybersecurity experts to develop and ship world-class adversarial security testing software.
- Participate in the team’s core processes, including recommending and implementing improvements.
- Act with urgency and deliver high-quality software that helps our customers defend against threats.
- Researching trends related to adversary tactics, techniques, and procedures.
- Work with the latest tools, on well-resourced teams, on the leading edge of security research, in defense of national security.
Qualifications for this position include:
- Knowledge of basic cybersecurity concepts and best practices.
- Experience with fundamental software engineering concepts and proficiency with at least one programming language, preferably Python.
- Ability to produce high quality code quickly that captures the essential nature of the solution and is appropriately flexible, reusable, efficient, and adaptable to changing requirements.
- Ability to independently design software components in well-scoped scenarios, with simplicity and maintenance as key considerations.
- Knowledge of version control tools such as Git.
- Ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams and to effectively communicate technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- Understanding of the MITRE ATT&CK framework.
Preferred Qualifications for this position include:
- Experience on a Security Research team, on a Red Team, in Offensive Security, in Adversary Emulation, in Cyber Threat Intelligence, as a Capabilities Developer or Tools Developer, or have worked as a software engineer on a cybersecurity product/project.
- Experience in developing offensive security tools, modifying existing tools, implementing proof-of-concepts, and building implants/payloads.
- Passionate and self-motivated about security research, particularly in uncovering real-world security issues and addressing in-the-wild security threats.
- Experience writing pentest and red team tools for use in operations.
- Experience designing Command & Control (C2) infrastructure.
- Experience writing cybersecurity content such as Metasploit modules and nmap scripts.
We embrace diversity and difference, and believe that broadening the perspectives of our teams will help enable innovation and lead to better outcomes. We encourage your application even if you may not meet all the preferred qualifications. We work collaboratively as a team to support one another in our mission and promote professional development.
The annual salary range for this role as it is posted is $175,000 to $205,000 regardless of final candidate location within the United States. The final job level and annual salary will be determined based on the education, qualification, knowledge, skills, ability, and experience of the final candidate(s), and calibrated against relevant market data and internal team equity. Benefits listed in this posting may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Rebellion Defense.
Disclosure as required by the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act, C.R.S. § 8-5-101 et seq.
Rebellion Defense is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit and business needs. Rebellion Defense does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other protected characteristic in accordance with federal, state, and local law.
Rebellion’s products are subject to export controls, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and/or Export Administration Regulations (EAR). To work with our products, you must be a U.S. citizen, a lawful permanent resident of the US, a protected individual as defined by 8 USC 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the US Department of State or US Department of Commerce.
Rebellion Defense is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as they go through our job application and interview process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com
By submitting your application, you affirm the content contained therein is true and accurate in all respects. Please note that prior to employment, Rebellion Defense will obtain background checks for employment purposes that may include, where permitted by law, the following: identify verification, prior employment verification, personal and professional references, educational verification, and criminal history. For certain roles, additional background checks covering additional information and activities may be required, including checks conducted by the U.S. government or service providers on behalf of the U.S. government.