Robotics Software Engineer (Intern)
South San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, September 6, 2023
In this internship, you will be working with our robot software engineering team for 3 months on the code that drives our Tally(TM) autonomous robots. You will work in an exciting fast-paced Silicon Valley startup environment and work on all aspects of Tally including but not limited to navigation, perception, autonomous behaviors, hardware drivers, cloud integration, and infrastructure management. You will be working extensively with the Robot Operating System (ROS) framework.
The internship will give you valuable experience to help forge you into a professional software engineer. On completion of the internship, you will be ready to work on day 1 as a full-time software engineer at any ROS-based robotics company. Exceptional interns will be given full-time position offers (if openings are available) with Simbe upon graduation from university.
- Maintaining and extending the Tally software stack -- you will work on at least one major project during the internship period that will be presented to the entire organization at the end of the program
- Improving Tally's autonomy, navigation, perception, and human-robot interaction (HRI) behaviors.
- Testing and integrating new hardware components including new sensors that will go into the next generation of Tally.
- Evaluating third-party ROS packages for integration into our stack
- Currently in university for BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or related field - candidates closer to graduation are given preference
- Adept in C++ or Python programming -- the most important thing we care about is if you can code.
- Candidates with an existing code portfolios, personal coding projects outside of school, past internship experience, and/or outstanding academic performance tend to be given preference.
- Basic understanding of the Robot Operating System (ROS) and core concepts such as nodes, messages, topics, services, parameters, build system, etc.
- Understanding of shell scripting (e.g. bash) is recommended but not required
- Rudimentary understanding of Git or other source control system
- Rudimentary experience working with Ubuntu or other Linux distributions
Relocation and Time Frame
- The internship requires relocation to the San Francisco Bay Area for the duration of the position and being present at our HQ in-person daily Monday through Friday.
- Start date and end date are flexible as long as candidates are able to commit to a minimum of 3 contiguous months. However, we prefer the standard Fall (September-December), Spring (January-May), and Summer (June-August) periods to align with university semesters so that all interns start roughly at the same time as a "class".