Business Development Manager
Today, 60 million Americans work independently, and that trend is only accelerating. But benefits are tightly coupled with full-time, W2-based jobs. As a result, the millions of Americans who work independently are excluded from that financial safety net.
Stride is the world’s first benefits platform built specifically for contractors, part-timers, and the self-employed. We provide them all the same benefits you’d expect from a W2 job, like insurance, tax support, and discounts on products and services. In fact, since launching in 2014, Stride has helped over 3.5 million Americans save over $4 billion on their benefits and taxes.
We’re partnered with the top employers of non-benefited workers, including DoorDash, Uber, Postmates, MasterCard, Amazon, Aon, and Willis Towers Watson. We’re backed with over $86 million in capital by Venrock, New Enterprise Associates, Fidelity’s F-Prime Capital Partners, King River Capital, Mastercard, and Allstate.
And we’re growing! While we started off exclusively serving non-benefited workers, other companies in our space started knocking on our door to tailor our platform for their customers. Now we need outstanding people (like you!) to help us reach our mission and improve access to affordable benefits for all.
Cash compensation range: $120,000 - 143,000 USD annually + equity
We make software that helps the 100+ million people who work for themselves be more productive and successful, giving them economic security to thrive. Our products are integrated in the world’s largest work-for-yourself platforms including Uber, Etsy, Task Rabbit, Postmates, and Care.com, and we’re looking for a driven and ambitious Business Development Manager to build and strengthen partnerships with even more companies that have large communities of independent workers and consumers who do not have healthcare coverage through their employer.
Our Business Development Manager will be responsible for strategically managing a sales pipeline from prospecting to close with enterprise partners across multiple segments. This person will be responsible for building strong relationships in market and continuously staying up-to-date on market trends to help inform and shape the Company’s roadmap.
- Build partnerships that bring Stride’s products to communities of independent workers
- Generate new business opportunities by finding and qualifying leads through outbounding, research, and inbound leads
- Pitch Stride’s expanding suite to secure new relationships and strengthen existing partnerships
- Manage negotiation & contracting process for your pipeline, and influence cross-functional support behind deals.Influence and shape our value proposition and product roadmap based on market feedback
- Collaborate cross-functionally in a fast paced environment with multiple internal teams to ensure other areas of our business (product, engineering, marketing) are aligned with deals in pipeline
- Capable of understanding customer pain points that Stride can help address
- Consistently meet and exceed quota
Recipe for Success
- 3-5 years of Business Development or Sales experience at a health-tech or fintech company with B2B or B2B2C models.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Ability to understand prospect pain points and articulate how Stride’s value proposition can solve their needs
- Strong research skills and a willingness to roll up your sleeves to learn about prospective partners or our industry
- Ability to develop pitch decks and use data to strengthen our value proposition
- Proven ability to advance discussions and close dealsAbility to thrive in ambiguity and fast paced environment
- Ability to problem solve and think creatively about how to unstick situations
Nice to Haves
Experience building strategic partnerships with on-demand / gig economy platformsExperience working for a startup during its growth inflection phase
This resource will help explain Stride’s Compensation Philosophy and compensation practices, and will answer some common questions you might have.
Stride’s Compensation Philosophy utilizes a National Payscale, which is designed to fairly and equitably pay employees based on their performance and impact regardless of geographic location. For employees in the United States, our National Payscale leverages San Francisco Bay Area market data to determine our compensation bands for cash, commissions, or bonus (if applicable) and equity.
Unless otherwise noted, the cash compensation above is the total salary and does not include a bonus. In addition to cash compensation, all full-time Striders will be given stock options to participate in Stride’s equity incentive program. We want all Striders to be an owner of the company, value that ownership, and be able to participate in any future positive outcomes for the company.
Individual compensation packages are based on a few different factors unique to each candidate, including their skills, experience, qualifications, and other job-related reasons. Our compensation ranges are designed to be competitive, equitable, and growth-oriented.
We know that benefits are also an important piece of your total compensation package. To learn more about what’s included in total compensation, check out some of the benefits and perks Stride offers to all US-based employees.
At Stride, we believe in compensating Striders in ways that are true to their value in the marketplace, that inspire and motivate the team to execute our vision, that shape behavior toward productively building and sustaining Stride's culture, and that support the risks and rewards of a fast-growing technology company.
Stride is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.