Director of Data and Machine Learning
What we want to accomplish and why we need you.
Suki is creating a new category in the health tech space – the digital assistant. We are going to be the voice user interface for healthcare. What does that mean? Currently, doctors use their electronic medical record system to track patient encounters (a digital version of the old paper charts you used to see in your doctor’s office and on TV). These systems can be hard to navigate and very time consuming to manage. Time that doctors would rather have to spend with their patients. This is the problem we’re solving right now! Doctors that use Suki already spend over 50% less time on administrative tasks and we are striving to do even better.
What will you be doing?
As a Senior Director/Director of Data and Machine Learning, you’ll build and lead a team of brilliant machine learning engineers to innovatively develop new data sources, pipelines, algorithmic approaches, and strategies to enhance and expand upon Suki’s product offerings and ML infrastructure. Core responsibilities will include:
- Lead and manage a high performance Data and ML engineering and operations team
- Innovate with investments in algorithm approaches leveraging deep learning architectures, NLP, Large Language Models etc.
- Lead automation initiatives across components of ML lifecycle following agile development practices - data quality, data processing, model development, testing, evaluations
- Optimize & scale the AI/ML applications on production environments wrt latency, throughput, cloud cost, maintainability, deployments and monitoring
- Partner with Backend engineering team on critical decisions related to architecture, infrastructure and scalability
- Collaborate with product teams to influence product roadmap, and correspondingly drive ML strategy and development
- Research and evaluate emerging technologies and techniques in the field of AI/ML, data engineering and data visualization to enhance the team’s technical capabilities
- Advocate for software and machine learning engineering best practices within the ML and Engineering team.
- Hire world class talent cutting across technology roles
- Create a collaborative environment across geographies
Ok, you're sold, but what are we looking for in the perfect candidate?
- User-centered: You are obsessed with the customer experience. You’re energized by talking to customers and you can’t wait to translate key consumer needs into business and product requirements. You have an innate understanding of user behavior.
- Data Driven: You use metrics to drive decision making
- Self-starter: You are motivated by impossible challenges and energized by creating something new.
- Process Oriented: Our tech support process will constantly need to be iterated on to ensure our users have the best experience possible, and you’re excited about this.
- Technical experience: You have the ability to handle complex technical issues that may require some level of engineering understanding.
- Adaptability: You thrive in a fast-moving organization that uses light-weight processes and cutting-edge technology to have a huge impact.
- Rigor: You are detail oriented and hold others to a high standard.
- 10+ years of experience with designing and building robust, highly scalable and highly available data driven pipelines and applications
- 5+ years of experience managing ML engineering teams working on
- Machine learning & deep learning architectures, modeling frameworks & libraries (PyTorch, Tensorflow, Keras, scikit-learn etc.)
- ML lifecycle management including - model versioning, model training, model and data lineage, model monitoring, model hosting and deployment, scalability, orchestration, continuous training & deployment, and automated pipelines
- Strong ability to design end to end ML systems and lead a technical roadmap
- Deep understanding of machine learning best practices (eg. training/serving skew minimization, A/B test, feature engineering, feature/model selection)
- Excellent written/verbal communication, interpersonal and collaboration skills
- Ability to collaborate effectively with cross functional teams to solve complex problems and building products spanning across geographically distributed teams to deliver end-to-end products & features
- Experience with hardware resource management for ML training and/or deployment (CPU/GPU/NPU)
- Experience in using MLOps frameworks like Kubeflow, MLFlow, DataRobot, Airflow etc. and building feature store
- Good knowledge on SQL databases, data warehouses & data lakes (MySQL/Hive/Redshift/Big Query etc.)
- 3+ years experience working with cloud infrastructure (preferably GCP)
- Experience with CI/CD systems, agile development processes, test driven development (unit tests & integration tests)
- Excellent data analytical & debugging skills; problem solving, critical thinking & communication skills with strong attention to detail
Good To Have:
- Experience with ML platforms like SageMaker/Databricks/GCP ML/Vertex AI etc.
- Familiarity with Speech / Chat-based interfaces, conversational AI, and Generative AI
- A professional ML Engineer certification
* We don’t necessarily expect to find a candidate that has done everything listed, but you should be able to make a credible case that you’ve done most of it and are ready for the challenge of adding some new things to your resume.
Tell me more about Suki
- On a roll: Named by Fast Company as one of the most innovative companies, named Google’s Partner of the Year for AI/ML, named by Forbes as one of the top 50 companies in AI.
- Great team: Founded, managed, and backed by successful tech veterans from Google and Apple and medical leaders from UCSF and Stanford. We have technologists and doctors working side-by-side to solve complex problems.
- Great investors: We’re backed by Venrock, First Round Capital, Flare Capital, March Capital , and others. With our $55M Series C financing, we have the resources to scale.
- Huge market: Disrupting a massive, growing $30+ billion market for transcription, dictation, and order-entry solutions. Our vision is to become the voice user interface for healthcare, relieving the administrative burden on doctors instead of adding to it.
- Great customers: Our solutions are used in health systems and clinics across the country, supporting clinicians across dozens of specialties. Check out what one of our users says about how Suki has helped his practice.
- Impact: You’ll make an impact from day one. You’ll join a team working towards a shared purpose with a culture built upon deep empathy for doctors and passion for making their lives better.
Suki is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are dedicated to building a company that fosters inclusion and belonging and reflects the diverse communities we serve across the country. We know we are stronger this way and we look forward to growing our team with these shared values.