Software Engineer, Backend
Posted on Saturday, November 4, 2023
MediaLab is a media & technology company focused on acquiring and growing properties and global brands. The organization is a unique combination of private equity, holding company and operating entity. We continue to expand and are proud of the prominent market position of our brands.
Come join an exceptionally talented team of engineers, designers, product and business builders. HQ is located in sunny Santa Monica, California with growing teams in New York, and across cities in the US and Latin America.
Your Role at MediaLab
MediaLab Engineering supports a growing number of applications across multiple business verticals under the MediaLab umbrella.
The Engineering team is incredibly talented and includes talented individuals who have experience working in large scale systems. If you've designed complex scalable systems, built powerful and intuitive user interfaces, or worked with great teams on hard problems in consumer products, this is the place for you.
The Kik tech stack revolves around Java, so we require some experience with that language. More than checking the boxes on specific technologies though, we're looking for driven engineers with real technical depth and a desire to understand the entire business. We want people who are passionate and care deeply about the success of the whole company.
What You'll Do
- Maintain and improve the existing code
- Write tests for the existing code as well as new features
- Increase systems performance by identifying bottlenecks and developing clever solutions to solve them
- Review and critique code to spot potential issues and code lints
- Debug and track down issues in production systems
- Build reusable code and libraries for future useImplementation of security and data protection
What We're Searching For
- 5+ years experience as a professional software engineer
- BS degree in Computer Science or similar technical field of study is preferred but not required
- Ability to meet tight deadlines
- A passion for implementing best practices and a bias toward smart automation
- Proven ability to collaborate with and mentor other engineers
- Experience building massively distributed systems, or building intuitive, feature-rich user interfaces
- Capable of prioritizing multiple project in order to meet goals without management oversight
- Vast knowledge of Java
- Previous experience with microservices infrastructure, Docker and Kubernetes
At MediaLab, we rely on a range of backgrounds, experiences, and ideas. We value diversity, and we’re proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunity workplace.